The War Memorial
The Common

The War Memorial unveiling ceremony
(picture from SWOP website)

War Memorial inscription



The war memorial was unveiled in 1921 with Lord Carrington in attendance. Lord Carrington had lost his son, Viscount Wendover, in the war and his name is remembered on this memorial. Some of these soldiers actually made it home only to die of their injuries later and are buried locally. The unveiling was a huge event and The Common was packed with locals and visitors. The memorial had been designed by Wycombe architect Thomas Thurlow who was a joint owner of the Flackwell Heath Golf Club. (Thomas had lost a nephew in the war and James Peace and Arthur Clarke, fellow Golf Club owners, had also lost a grandson and son in the war. Their names are remembered on the Wycombe War Memorial).

How many descendants of the names listed still live in the village today?
button
Back to map