The Retreat as it once looked, photo courtesy of David Marshall|| |
The Retreat as it looks now, photo courtesy of David Marshall
The Retreat appears to have been built in 1854. It has seen many changes and many owners. In the 1950s it was the home of Norman Sarney,
the brother of Les who ran Fennels Farm.
The land behind The Retreat has been used for many things but was primarily a pasture for the dairy herd of Civil John Smith, a local farmer who lived at Dairy Cottage on The Common and who was also the village constable. After the football was moved to Wilks Park the land became a recreation ground with slides and roundabouts. Before the bowling green was established there was also a cycle track which had been constructed by the local village boys.
Back to map