|Re-enactment of WW2 at village fayre|| |
As it was, taken from Sheepridge Lane
|As it is today, taken from Heath End Road|
Magpie Cottage was originally a pub called the Dashwood Arms but it became a family home many years ago.
In 1939 it was the home of Major Baker, the company commander of the local Home Guard.
Major Baker also worked for the BBC and had been instructed to rig up an operational radio base at the cottage where
he and his team heard that the Germans had invaded Poland and that peace was therefore at an end.
Information taken from 'Flackwell Heath, The Making of a Chiltern Village' by Gwenda Grange.
Back to map